Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Joko Goes to New Zealand - One Tree Hill

My wonderful layover in Rarotonga at an end, I arrived in Auckland early on the morning of the 26th of December. I had left 3 hours earlier on the 24th. 2017 will be remembered by me as the year when the Dateline stole Christmas. 

At my overpriced, airport hotel I got my first glimpse of an actual kiwi. These birds were a lot bigger than I expected! 

There were a few things I needed to pick up before I went to meet my sister and her family. A convenience store near the hotel had what I wanted.
Sheep!
Just as one would likely find in the USA, the store was staffed by Southern Asians, and they had that distinctive New Zealander drawl. 


Once I had my awesome Ninja 250 motorcycle rented, my goal was the Coramandel Peninsula, which would have only taken a couple hours to get to on the main highway.
The view from atop One Tree Hill
But I had the whole day, so I took in some of Auckland's sights (One Tree Hill) and took the scenic route along the coast. I had to get directions along the way. 



I was quick to appreciate the motorbike. I'm ruined for scooters forever, I think. Having the power of a bigger bike under one while swerving along mountain roads, yeah, a little bike may never do it for me again. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, for your entries and videos. I enjoy what you post. I feel badly that you didn't get to celebrate Christmas, but even so, I feel I need to say... Merry Christmas!... and Happy New Year! Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Does Outer Space Affect Inner Space?

 Along the spectrum of philosophies and religions of the world, few give much weight to the idea that we are significantly influenced, if at...