Friday, April 22, 2016

The Tour d'Borneo - Part One: Motorcycle Search

It's a Friday night, April 22nd. I began this Borneo journey on Tuesday, but I don't feel like it's really even begun. I haven't hit the road yet; I'm writing tonight from my hotel room in Pontianak, my third night here. Tomorrow, having finalized my planning and transportation, I hit the road for real.



I mentioned in the previous post that it was going to take me two days to get here from Myanmar. Due to flight schedules, I couldn't avoid a 13 hour overnight layover at the Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, airport. On the day of my flight out of Yangon, I began picturing myself lying on the floor of some lounge at 3 AM, wide awake, bored and uncomfortable. I made the good decision of booking at a hotel nearby the airport and made my flight to Pontianak, West Borneo on time and rested. Funny little boutique hotel there in KL; it was airplane themed. They upgraded me to business class.



When I got to Pontianak, I was grateful for not being so tired because I had an arduous task ahead. See, I made the mistake of not thoroughly investigating the availability of motorcycles for rent in the city of Pontianak. I figured Pontianak is a big city. I had googled 'motorcycle rental Pontianak' and found a dozen places that rented cars, so I figured I'd find something when I got here. My hopes were buoyed further when the hotel representative who was in the free shuttle with me informed me that the hotel could arrange a motorcycle rental.

On the road to the hotel, I saw dozens of motorcycle dealers, selling new and used bikes. I'd wait until the what the hotel could find for me, but I was pretty sure I'd find something I liked. I didn't just want any crappy little city bike; I was going up into the hills and jungles of the interior. I wanted something rugged, powerful and reliable.




Maybe Doraemon could help me find a motorcycle
At the Santika Hotel, which is a wonderful accommodation, after checking in, I inquired about the motorcycle rental. I was told to down to the front door and talk to the security staff; the rental was informal, just some guys the security guards knew. Oh. When I talked to them, they made some phone calls, but turned up nothing. They promised me they'd keep trying.

So, on my first afternoon and evening in Pontianak, I head out on foot to search for a bike to rent from one of the many many Such-and-Such Motor shops I'd seen nearby the hotel. 
This kid doesn't see foreigners very often, if at all, so I think he found me a bit scary.


Well, as you'll see in the video, I got to see a lot of Pontianak that day. I walked for hours, and although I enjoyed exploring a new and interesting city, I wasn't finding what I was looking for. You'll see in the video.

I just gave him a goofy smile and he relaxed.





The next morning, I had a brilliant idea. I think it may have even come to me in a dream. Why was I searching the internet for motorcycle rental here in this off-the-beaten-path city in English? I should be entering my search terms in Indonesian! Of course!


What happened next? Well, that will have to wait for the next blog, as that video isn't finished yet.


As I said, I am on the road tomorrow, so I do at least have a motorcycle.

2 comments:

  1. I praise God you found a motorcycle! :) I enjoyed your entry and video and will look forward to more! Thank you. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, you found one now lets get going on this trip....lol.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...