Saturday, March 22, 2014

She Works Hard for the Money at the Market

Had fun yesterday and learned a little Burmese language while I was at it.  Memorized the words for 'may I take your picture?' and then wandered around just half a block of the Hladen Market I'd written about earlier.  I was looking for footage of women working as this week's Seasons of the Ukulele contest is about women songwriters and I had chosen Donna Summer's song named in the title above.  

Here are some framegrabs for the video challenged:

I think she's selling green peppercorns... In traditional Bamar (the actual ethnicity of most of the people in this part of Myanmar and where the name Burma comes from) make up:
 






Yes, we have some bananas.



I swear this woman said yes when I asked if I could take her picture, but then changed her mind. 

There's plenty more photos at my Photobucket page.   
And here's the video...






2 comments:

  1. Love it. Look at all those fruits and veggies. Busy, busy place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain why some of the women appear to have a rectangle of something lighter than their skin color on their cheeks? Is it sunscreen? A religious thing? A cultural thing? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...