Thursday, September 14, 2017

Wow! It's Lao - Part 5: On to Luang Prabang

Do not stay at the Eagle Hotel in Xayabouri. So many annoying little things that would be easy to fix. No glass in the windows. The restaurant is closed. No English at all amongst the staff. I was glad to get out of there and on to the road once again. 

As you hear me explain in the video, I have a fear of tall bridges. I was looking forward to another exciting ferry crossing of the Mekong, but to my surprise, there was a bridge! It wasn't on my map. Once on the other side, the view from the hill on the far bank was spectacular. Here's a photo utilizing the 'panorama' function on the phone. 

It was a rather short trip, so I stopped often and took in the sights. Another nice thing about this enduro bike is that I never have to worry about the roads I might encounter. The CRF can handle anything.
For example, on the side of the highway, there was a sign indicating a nearby waterfall, but no indication (that I could read) as to how far down the side road it was.
I took a chance and it paid off. 

Eventually, I made it to Luang Prabang. This ancient city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it sits at the confluence of two big rivers. A former royal capital of one of the Lao kingdoms, there's lots to see and do there. Temples, museums and Mexican food were the highlights of my first day there. 


Enjoy the video...

 

1 comment:

  1. Again, I must say that I enjoy your videos. I also thought it was nice that you had Mexican food! Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...