Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Joko Now in Lao - Part 1

Whaddya think of the name for this journey? Eh? Each time I go and make these trips, I gotta think of a snappy title for the video series... now.. Lao... rhymes! 

Well, there where a couple of snafus along the way here (they confiscated my bungee cords at the airport!), but once I get to Vientiane, things went great. At least from the perspective of what was most important. Immigration laws in Myanmar have changed recently, and whereas I used to have to leave the country every 70 days on a "visa run", now we're being allowed to get one-year business visas. Their access, however, is limited, and like any bureaucracy, sometimes a civil servant will say "no" when they don't have to. Not so at the Myanmar embassy in Laos. They were wonderful. They treated me like a VIP and I got everything expedited efficiently. 

I've rented a REAL motorcycle for this journey. No more putting around on a little scooter!


As I write this, it's the morning of my 3rd day here, and I'm finally going to hit the road for the countryside. As I'm anxious to get at it, with no further adieu, here's the first video.  

 

6 comments:

  1. Would the name be snappier without the "Now", just "Joko In Lao"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would, but "Lao" is pronounced "laow", rhyming with "now".. If it were "La-Oh" that would rhyme with Joko.
      Besides, as I've driven around these last few days, I kept finding myself uttering exclamations of amazement, so I think I got a new name for the series: "Wow! It's Lao"

      Delete
  2. Luv the new rental bike J..... weren't you thinking of buying one a while back ?
    So bungee cord thievery aye....wth.....who knew....
    The Mekong aye..... Kham will like that,as well as your whole series on Laos..... hey can you say hello too Kham on the video I know she would get a kick outta that... Just say Dennis asked you to say hello to her that way I get points too.... (LOL)
    Stay safe J....
    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. What's her hometown in Lao? I may be going there.

      Delete
  3. Bad news from Myanmar are in the press. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I truly enjoy the videos you make. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...