Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Two Months

Wow. It's been two months since I last posted on this blog. That's quite some time and not what I'd intended. I hadn't intended this to be just a travel blog. A lot of those 8 weeks, I was locked out of my Blogger account due to password issues. These seem to have resolved themselves, and so it's time for an update.

So what have I been up to? Nothing all that spectacular. Basically, just living and teaching here in Yangon. Work is good. We've made some IT improvements at my school that have made accessing resources much easier, meaning I don't have to spend as much time doing my prep work. It's the middle of the rainy season here which means thunderstorms each and every day. It's unfortunate that I happen to be writing this while watching TV coverage of the Harvey disaster; the rain here hasn't caused flooding like it has in years past. Personally, it's been great not having to worry about a leaky roof. Since March, I've been living on the 2nd floor in a new building. As much as I loved my old apartment, the rainy season there was a constant worry that I would come home to big puddles all over my floor. My new place is also in quite an interesting neighborhood. It's mostly small wood shacks with corrugated metal roofs. One day, I decided to set up my camera on the balcony and see what I could capture. It made for a nice little video. 


Another thing that's happened in these last two months was my return to the open mic stage. Back in the USA, I used to love to get up on stage with my ukulele every week and sing a few tunes. I was doing some errand when I noticed a sign at a nearby mall, the Hledan Centre. I signed up and did three songs. Here's two of them. 


Unfortunately, my current teaching schedule has me in class on Wednesday nights. Consequently, I won't be able to perform there again soon. Next term, perhaps. 

 
I visited Bangkok on a visa run in July.


 
I've got a lot to be excited about going forward. I'm happy the football season is back, and I've sprung for the NFL Sunday Ticket package which allows me to watch games on delay on my computer. I've made a tentative plan to visit family in New Zealand for Christmas/New Years (and maybe even the USA!). What I'm most looking forward to starts in just a few days. On September 4th, I fly off to Vientiane, Laos, to begin a two-week holiday. Of course, there will be motorcycle videos. It'll be good to be back on the road again.

6 comments:

  1. Beak airlines (lol) on the last Video....looking forward to Lao video's
    And frankly feeling guilty for not watching every one ofyour video's......
    I am seriously giving thougth to not only watching all of them but also re-posting them....would that be alright with you if I re-posted them on Facebook.... let me know <(")
    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Denny, I appreciate the sentiment, but that would be kinda weird. If I remember correctly, someone close to you is Lao. What I'd more appreciate is any travel tips she might have.

      Delete
  2. Good to see a post. We have been out of internet contact for more than a week while in Denali National Park and while starting our long journey back to the lower 48. We did get connection for an hour or so here and there, but you know how it is while traveling. We will be more connected after Sept. 15 or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think any part of the USA would be out of cel tower range. I'm curious to find out how my connectivity is going to be in the backwoods of Laos.

      Delete
  3. Praise God you'll be going to see family for Christmas and New Years! I'm happy for you! Blessings... Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... sorry, I forgot to mention how I adored the music you played! It was wonderful! Blessings, Lynn

      Delete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...