Monday, November 7, 2016

The Most Remarkable Bridge I've Ever Crossed

This footage will be part of a longer video in the next few days, but it was such an experience that I felt it needed its own video and blog unto itself. No music. No editing. Just a crazy bridge.

Jack and I were out exploring the countryside here near HInthada and decided to just make the next right and ask around until we found where we wanted to go. Turned out we needed to cross a river. The only bridge across that river was remarkable. Like no other bridge I've ever seen, much less crossed.

So, here it is: a floating bamboo bridge with a gap in the middle to let boats through. Intuitively, I knew how it worked. One part of the bridge must detach and then connect with the other side. Who did it? Did I need to know how to move it?


Seems like the first thing to do would be to ride out onto the water, so this is what I did. Now what? — in Hinthada.


Aha! Help from the other side! A kid ran down the far bank, ran up the bridge and moved the moveable section over to my side.




Shuttle craft docked. Ready to load




Here's the heart and soul of this transportation method. Moveable bridge powered by ten year old boy 

  

Welcome to this side of the river.

Welcome. Smiles, everyone, smiles!
 
·


I'm almost off this crazy bridge! Get out of the way doggie!

The welcoming committe on the other side. Two emaciated cows and a kid.
 

Jack Bartram followed right behind me, and whereas he's been known to have that crazed smile on his face on other occasions, this one was because we'd just been through an insane experience
  
 

2 comments:

  1. It was amazing seeing you and your friend cross the river on that 'bridge'. Wow! I praise God neither of you were hurt. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a wicked crossing.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...