Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Coming Back for a Second Term and Back from My Back

Great news from JokoLand! I have to pat myself on the back a little bit too. Received an e-mail from my teachers' agency last week asking me if I was interested in signing another contract for the second term of this year at my current school. I said maybe. Depends on what kind of offer is put forward regarding compensation. I asked for a raise.


Came through today! I'll be making 11% more next term than this. So, I am staying put through April. Good to get that done. I told a couple students today, and they seemed genuinely pleased to hear it as well.


In other news, I am the proud owner of a bulging disc in my back. Now, this is not very serious as health concerns go (hang in there, Jeremy!), but oh, the pain I have been through this last week was enough to make me go to the Thai doctor.



Through receiving recommendations, I visited a place not that far from home. They were very kind, professional and although the doctor's English was far from fluent, he was very enthusiastic in explaining that I needed to 'no work the back!' In other words, he told me to lie down as much as possible. If I have to sit, I should lean back in the chair. Standing, lean against the wall. Anything to take pressure off the disc. And no basketball.


Even though my pain started as what I thought was a basketball injury, the doctor didn't call it that in his report, and so my insurance doesn't cover it. No worries though. My doctor visit, nursing services and a week's script of meloxican and Lyrica cost me less than $50 total. Health care doesn't have to cost thousands. 

A little sad song from the latest Seasons of the Ukulele...




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! And a raise - even better. Good luck with the back. Not fun to have back problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At one point I too was diagnosed with a bulging disc. It was quite painful as I remember and he discomfort lasted a long long time. Exercise to strengthen the stomach muscles, and weight loss seemed to have been the relieving factor. I know neither is fun or easy. You can't do exercises until the swelling around the disc decreases, but you can do simple things like lying flat on your back and flexing your abdominal muscles a little.

    WEIGHT loss is essential. That big pot belly puts a lot of strain on your back.

    Ice is also good. Not heating pads. Heat causes fluid (swelling).

    Good luck with it all. My sympathies. I have been there too many times and denied that exercise and weight loss we what I needed most.

    Glad to hear about your job situation. Another bit of motherly advice is that you should automatically put aside the 11% as savings to cover the vacation months.

    Love You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I weighed myself this morning, and for the first time in maybe 4 years, I am under 100 Kg (220 lbs). 98.1 (216 lbs) to be exact. I weighed 245 when I got on the plane. Now, this may be circumstantial. The back pain has actually effected my appetite. I'm just not hungry. Also, two days ago, my air conditioning broke, so I've been sweating a whole lot these last few days...

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the raise. I agree with your momma though. Sock it away for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For bulging disc .de is world leader in number of operations (although not necessarily). But in most cases it's better what Merikay says: exercise your muscles, loose weight.

    BTW ;) atmospheric entry for season 82.
    Elmann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got shot discs at L3, L4, L5, and S1--various injuries over the years. They all went nutty on me at once about four years ago, and I found myself barely able to stand. You know the cartoons, the old folks who stand up and can't straighten? That was me. The pain was astounding. I found that, when sitting in the computer chair, keeping my feet on their balls or on point with ankles flexed and knees lifted actually helped. Of course, sleeping on my back with my legs propped up on pillows/blankets was also helpful. I also found the heavy duty drugs like oxy and the like to be completely worthless--Ibuprofen helped a lot more, as did taking baths with alternating hot and cold water. I would literally sit with my back under the faucet and run hot for a while, then cold for a while.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...