Saturday, July 28, 2018

To Ngwesaung with Nicki


Well, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here on my blog. I’ve decided that I’ll take a break from telling the end of the story of my last motorcycle journey, which has got kinda stale in my mind, and which has showed in my enthusiasm and effort in making compelling videos. Instead, I’ll share some from my most recent exploits 

A little more than 3 months ago, I met Nicki. Although I’ve mentioned her before on this blog, I think this video is the first time you’ll see her on my camera. We’ve been dating, and as there was a holiday this week, I asked her to come with me to Ngwesaung, which is a nearby (5 hour bus ride) beach destination on the Bay of Bengal. 

It’s said that you don’t really get to know how well you get along with someone until you travel with them. It’s only when you’re on the road together that you learn how you work as a team. I totally agree with this thought. I’ve travelled tens of thousands of kilometers on my own because I like to do what I want to do. If that freedom is impinged upon, no matter how young and nubile the impinger, I’m not likely to react well. Outwardly, I may enjoy travelling with you, but inwardly, I know I’ll never do it again. 

Well, Nicki and I have passed the travelling test. At least from my perspective, I think we got along well, and that bodes well for future travel. 

What I noticed most about how we played together was that there was a lot of just that, play

I’d like to think that at 48 years old, I’ve still maintained a youthful mindset. My attitudes are young and I enjoy playing around in the mental and verbal spheres. But actual play? As defined by what kids do? It’s been a long time since I’ve played that way. In the pool with Nicki, she reintroduced me to a kind of play I love, but have somewhat forgotten: imagination. 

I AM POSEIDON! RULER OF THE SEA! WHERE IS MY MERMAID?!

Oh, Poseidon! I’m your mermaid! 

[two bodies chasing each other through the water…more role playing ensues]

I guess what I’m getting at is that I really enjoyed how she made me feel like a kid again. The unbridled imagination and play that we feel as children is something we can still easily access in our 20’s, but in later years, it fades. I can do it in my head, but that combined imaginative and physical kidlike play… I want to thank my new gf for bringing me back to where I can play imagination games in the pool.

On the other hand, using every muscle to its most trying to chase around someone half my age in the pool, all while trying to impress her physically – ouch, are my muscles sore. 

Enjoy the video and feel free to comment… 





1 comment:

  1. Joko brother patti and i watched this video and loved it. We are excited to see nicki. Enjoy the time together. Play is good. Be young be inspired. With love

    ReplyDelete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...