Thursday, May 3, 2018

Discovering Northwest Myanmar 8 - Kalaymyo-Kalewa-Mawlaik

Downtown Kalaymyo decorated for the holiday.
Umbrellas strung across the road.
After a week of daily travel, it was time to take a rest day, get some laundry done and catch up on some videomaking.  The town of Kalaymyo was the perfect place to do so. I still had my very nice room at the Taung Zalat Hotel overlooking the continuing celebrations of the Water Festival. 


I had brought my ukulele with my on the journey as I didn't want to miss any of the weeks of the Seasons of the Ukulele. I had read that there was a local swimming hole some 10 klicks west of town. It was said it had riverside restaurants and beer stations, which I love. Sounded like the perfect place to record an ukulele song.


I hope the ambulance is empty!
Unfortunately, maybe half-way there, I ran into a tremendous traffic jam. This was remarkable for a small town like this, and even on motorbike, there was no way around it. Ah, heck with it. I'd find someplace else.


I did. Even though I had to shoo away local livestock who were sniffing at my lyrics sheet.



The next day, it was time to hit the road again. Time to follow the Myittha River to where it meets the Chindwin at the town of Kalewa. It was a beautiful road! 


The most remarkable thing I found in Kalewa: this marker denotes the
beginning of the India-Myanmar Friendship Road,
Arriving in Kalewa, I was a bit surprised by what I found, or more specifically, what I didn't find. See, Kalewa is listed on a leading Myanmar tourism website as a tourist destination. It's unique geography at a double bend in the Chindwin is touted as breathtaking. I was expecting riverside restaurants, at least! 

I ended up in Mawlaik and stood in the mighty Chindwin.  

Enjoy the video. The bluegrass music theme continues. 



1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful seeing where you are traveling to, especially where there was 2 rivers. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

42424

I thought I was going to retire there. I was the senior staff member. I'd been there longer than anyone. It. Is. Not. Fair.  But on the ...