Wednesday, May 10, 2017

On the Go in Manado 12: Tomohon to Bitung

I really enjoyed my time in Tomohon. The cool air, the volcanoes, and the intense greenery of the place will stick in my memories of the Tour d'Manado. But of course, the journey continued. 


The next stop was the port city of Bitung, North Sulawesi's second largest town.
Manado doesn't have a deep water port so all the shipping goes through Bitung. Being a sea port gives Bitung a particularly gritty feel to it, although you can tell with the wide open streets that a lot of investment has gone into the place. 



One thing I wasn't able to do for which Bitung is particularly famous was explore the Lembeh Straights. Lembeh is the island just off the coast and although it's reportedly a bit mucky, the diving and snorkeling in the waters there are supposed to be some of the best in the world. 

 

1 comment:

42424

I thought I was going to retire there. I was the senior staff member. I'd been there longer than anyone. It. Is. Not. Fair.  But on the ...