Thursday, April 27, 2017

On the Go in Manado 6: Amurang to Boroko

I didn't know what the roads were going to be like. I've been on lots of different kinds off roads here in SE Asia. Some are smooth as the best highway and you can go as fast as you want. Some are pure hell. Many are somewhere in between; the kind of road where you've can go fairly fast but need to be aware of the constant danger of massive potholes. 
Drinking coffee with the locals


The leg of the journey you're about to watch was 90% of the best quality road. That was nice, but what I couldn't have anticipated were the views along the way. At 220 km, this was the longest single leg of the trip. And perhaps novelty plays into my hyerbole, but it was also the most breathtakingly beautiful. 




When I was almost at my destination, I got a text message that would shape the entire rest of the journey. It was from the rental company. I replied with multiple apologies and a promise to return to the agreed upon area. Don't deactivate my bike! 

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful hotel room you had! But... wow! How were you treated that way; how could they ever know where you were and want to prevent you from going anywhere? Shocking! I must admit, you're really a good person. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that small GPS devices are fairly common on rental vehicles nowadays, even those in far flung Indonesia.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for letting me know. Blessings...

      Delete

Ten Years in Myanmar

 I couldn't remember the exact date of my arrival in Yangon. I thought the ten-year anniversary was going to be some day next week, so t...