Friday, February 5, 2016

Limelight

It's Progressive Rock Week (part 2) on the Seasons of the Ukulele contest at UkuleleUnderground.com. The band Rush was given as an example of a 'Prog Rock' band, and as I've always liked Rush, this seemed like a great opportunity for me to butcher one of their songs. Mind you, even on my best day, I can't sing like Getty Lee, and today I have a sore throat. My vocals are as understated as I get, and I turned up the reverb to compensate.

The backdrop is Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This week, I was there on a visa run from Myanmar, so before I'd even learned the song, I was out on the streets getting snippets with which to make a video.

Some of the song's themes came out in the footage. For example, at 1:30 in the video, a couple female Japanese tourists wandered by while I was recording. They stopped, intrigued, and turned around wanting to take my picture. Suddenly I got self-conscious, unusual for me. I couldn't put aside the alienation and I said no. Besides, my uke was horribly out of tune after being de-strung for the flight and I couldn't really play it, I could pretend to play it for the camera, but I couldn't play it for these girls.  I failed in the momentary limelight.

Anyways, I don't post many uke videos here on the blog, but this one is half-travel.  I dunno what's up with this new formatting on Blogger. I couldn't post it via embed code as I usually do.



I had a weird dream two nights ago that kinda fits the overall "Leaving Amerika" l theme of this blog. In the dream, I was offered a job paying $60K/year, all I had to do was come back to the USA. Oh, what a conundrum roiling through by semi-conscious dream mind. I left the USA after my $60K/yr job turned into a $40K/yr job due to new corporate salary policies. If that hadn't happened, I might not even be here right now. If I could go back to making that... would I go home? I couldn't even think it through thoroughly as I was in a dream, but one which went on seemingly all night as my subconscious couldn't resolve an answer...

1 comment:

  1. Prayer is very important. God will reveal to you. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Four Days Until America

This time next week, I'll be roaming around the wildfires of SoCal, being back in my home country for the first time in nearly five yea...